Friday, February 3, 2012

The Use of Description

“My LandLady, a voluble man, arranged my journey into the East. ‘If a person wants to visit Fastnesses he’s got to cross the Kargav…’ He was the superintendent of my island; I thought of him as my landlady, for he had fat buttocks that wagged as he walked, and a soft fat face, and a prying, spying, ignoble, kindly nature.” ~The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K Le Guin page 47-48
                I find it funny that for a society that normally do not have a set sex type to be describe as men with feminine qualities. For me, the use of the combination of the words of my land lady, voluble (talkable) man just seems to be a contradiction in a description of a person. The facts of the word use of “him as my landlady” just seem so odd and funny at the same time. All the guys that I know would just freak out if they were being describe or talked about in that kind of manner.
                I often wonder the fact that Ali knew that his landlord/lady was trying to get information about him. I wonder what he did with the information such as tell it to the king or sell it for a profit. We do know that he sold tours to show off Ali’s room so you know that there is some sort of greed in this place.
                I also thought that the use of “the superintendent of my island” was a different and neat way to describe a landlord of a home/property. Most of the time people call them apartment.
                I kind think some of the characters kind looks like especially the “landlady.”

1 comment:

  1. How would life be if these qualities were not tied to particular gender?

    ReplyDelete